- Another COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at the Maples Personal Care Home, which was hard hit during the pandemic.
- On Monday, 20 residents tested positive for COVID-19, according to the WRHA, and no healthcare-associated infections were reported among the staff.
- According to advocates, the outbreaks demonstrate that Manitoba’s mask and vaccine mandates should be maintained to protect seniors.
The Maples Personal Care Home, which was hard hit during the pandemic, has declared another COVID-19 outbreak.
Rhian Brynjolson’s uncle was there at the time and still lives there today.
“He’s a vulnerable person with issues, so it’s always a worry,” Brynjolson explained.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) confirmed that 20 residents tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday and that no healthcare-associated infections have been reported among staff. The Maples Personal Care Home, on the other hand, stated in a letter to family members that ten staff members were infected.
“The majority of residents are exhibiting mild to moderate symptoms as a result of widespread vaccination and booster doses, less serious strains of the virus, infection prevention, and control measures,” the WRHA said in a statement to CTV News.
A physician has been on site every day, according to the WRHA, and other staffing levels at Maples have remained stable.
During the 2nd wave of the pandemic, an outbreak killed 56 people in the area.
Brynjolson’s uncle has tested negative so far, but she is concerned about staffing.
“I’d like to know what the regional health authority is doing to ensure adequate care quality,” Brynjolson said.
According to the letter from the care home, visitations have been restricted in some wings, and hairdressing appointments have been canceled due to the outbreak. According to the report, residents are well-cared for and receive daily assessments. Stffing levels are also at “baseline,” according to the report.
Maples is one of 17 long-term care facilities currently dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak, according to the WRHA. According to the statement, staff will be redeployed to personal care homes dealing with outbreaks as needed and available.
According to advocates, the outbreaks show that mask and vaccine mandates should remain in place to protect seniors in Manitoba.
During the 2020 Maples Outbreak, Eddie Calisto-Tavares’ father died.
“Just because governments and others say COVID is dead doesn’t mean it is,” Calisto-Tavares said.
In contrast to the second wave, many people in nursing homes have been fully vaccinated and are now receiving their fourth dose.
According to Jan Legeros, Executive Director of the Long Term and Continuing Care Association of Manitoba, These facilities are screening and masking. She believes that the public can help stop the spread of the virus by wearing masks and getting their shots.
“I think we’ve been there regarding government mandates, and now it’s time for each of us to take responsibility,” Legeros said.
When it came to lifting mandates, Rhian Brynjolson believes the province acted too quickly.
“I think we’re all eager for the mandates to end and things to return to normal,” Brynjolson said, “but I’m not sure it was a good idea to let our guard down so quickly.”
Source: CTV News
Get Canada and Manitoba’s top News, Market news, and other worldwide news only on Manitoba Daily.